When my husband first joined the Army, I wanted to read all I could on what it was like to be a military wife. I bought a few books and over the last few years I have read a few more.
Here are my favorites:
1) Faith Deployed: Daily Encouragement for Military Wives by Jocelyn Green. This book is my favorite. It is a collection of devotions written specifically for us Military wives. This book is great to have during a deployment, especially during your sad and lonely days. It has been such an encouragement for me over the years. She has also written a second book called Faith Deployed Again.
2) While They’re At War: The True Story of American Families on the Homefront by Kristin Henderson. I read this one right at the start of our first deployment. It is about spouses at Ft. Bragg during a deployment. It was sometimes hard to read but I felt I needed to know the realities of what a deployment was like. I would love to read it again now that I have been through three deployments
3) Help! I’m a Military Spouse–I Get a Life Too!: How to Craft a Life for You As You Move With the Military by Kathie Hightower and Holly Scherer. This book is a great book about taking advantage of the military life’s opportunities to fulfill one’s own dreams. You don’t have to give up yourself when you become a Military wife and this is what this book is all about.
4) Intro To Army Life: A Handbook for Spouses and Significant Others Entering the Army Lifestyle by Allison Mewes. This book is written by an Army wife for other Army wives. It gives you the basics of the Army life. It tells you what you need to know and explains a lot of things that might be confusing. If I had a friend who was about to become an Army wife, I would give her this book. It would have really helped me in those early months of this new lifestyle.
5) Chicken Soup for the Military Wife’s Soul: Stories to Touch the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit. I love the chicken soup series but I especially love reading stories I can relate to. This book is filled with stories about Military wives from all different time periods. Sometimes you are just in the mood for a sweet story.
6) Battlefields and Blessings Stories of Faith and Courage from the War in Iraq & Afghanistan– This is another collection of stories about those who have been to Iraq & Afghanistan. From Chaplains who work at the Pentagon during 9/11, to military wives having to get through another deployment, these stories will touch you. They also have other books in the “Battlefields and Blessings” series including one of on the home front which I am anxious to read myself.
There are many other books out there written for Military wives, just do a search on Amazon or ask your local bookstore.