Military Community Awareness-Digital (MCA-D) introduces OPERATION REACH OUT, a smartphone app aimed at preventing suicide among military personnel and veterans. Developed by a team of suicide prevention experts, under the supervision of the primary author, Lawrence Shapiro, Ph.D., the app is available free on the iTunes App Store and the Android Market.
iTunes App Store
- FREEfor iPhones and iPads
- Comingfor the Android platform
- Under Development
OPERATION REACH OUT IS DESIGNED TO:
- Encourage people to reach out for help when they are having suicidal thoughts.
- Help those who are concerned about family members, spouses, or fellow service members who may be suicidal.
- Provide a personal contact help center.
- Provide activities to help people who are depressed stay connected to others.
- Users are prompted to enter phone number for people who will respond in a time of crisis.
- The help Center comes pre-loaded with phone numbers for suicide prevention hotlines and it is then customizable by each individual user.
12 Compelling video vignettes explain important facts,
- Your problems can be treated.
- There are other solutions.
- Suicidal crises are almost always temporary.
- Your problems are rarely as great as they appear.
10 Compelling video vignettes explain what to do when a person is talking about suicide, such as:
- Don’t be afraid to ask tough questions.
- Find out if the person is drunk or has overdosed on drugs.
- Remove any potentially harmful objects.
- Make sure the suicidal person understands that help is available.